Rock Park was left in perpetuity as a Charitable Trust to the Mayor and Aldermen of Barnstaple Corporation, their heirs and successors, by William Rock.
Bestowed by Victorian benefactor William Rock, this expansive park was opened with great public celebration. The grand obelisk at its entrance honours the opening in August of 1879. Ruined cottages, a factory and its yard, and an old limekiln were demolished in order to make way for the park and the ‘wide and noisome beach and water courses’ as they were at the time described, were tidied and drained.
Sited in the park is the town’s war memorial and a Millennium Stone dating from 1930. This was the year that the town celebrated 1000 years as a borough on the basis of an alleged Charter from King Athelstan in 930. As part of those celebrations swimming baths and a boating lake were constructed within the park, sadly these are no longer in situ.
Today the Park is owned by Barnstaple Town Council and managed by the Rock Park Trust Management Committee. The other parks in Barnstaple are managed by North Devon Council.
Facilities at Rock Park
Park Facilities include:
- Children’s play area
- Outdoor Gym
- Football Pitches
- Refreshment Kiosk
- Public Toilets
- An upgraded CCTV system with a wide angle lense is now in place around the play area. The wide-angled lense picks up more information and the system is fed into the CCTV unit located in Barum House.
Hiring Rock Park:
If you wish to use Rock Park for an event.
- activities by a sports club,
- a commercial activity, including personal training / outdoor gym activities
Please fill out The Rock Park Application Form via the button below and return to the Town Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: To apply for larger events such as Fairs, Circus’s or Inflatables we would like to hear from you before you apply.
Events in Rock Park
- Regular users of Rock Park include the Junior Football Clubs and Parkrun. For more information on the football clubs you can visit the Eastside AFC Website Here and the SAS Football Club Facebook Page Here
- ParkRun takes place every Saturday morning at 9am – Barnstaple Parkrun Facebook Page Here
- Junior Parkrun takes place on Sunday mornings also at 9am – you can find out more via the Barnstaple Junior Parkrun Facebook Page
Memorials and Commemorations
We have several memorial benches in Rock Park as well as commemorative trees and plaques and this is something that you can enquire about with us. We are currently updating our Memorials and Commemorations policy covering memorial benches and trees nand these will be available in due course. Please contact us via Admin@Barnstapletowncouncil.gov.ukor the Contact Us Form to find out more.
Rock Park Application Forms
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology and are in the following formats: .doc. .pdf. Request an accessible format.