- At its meeting on 22nd July 2019 Barnstaple Town Council declared a climate emergency (2019/TC39). This means that we need to implement society-wide resources at sufficient scale and speed to protect people, the economy, protect civilisation, species and ecosystems.
- For Barnstaple Town Council (BTC) and the town of Barnstaple to become carbon-neutral and carbon cost-neutral by 2030.
- To include all carbon emitting activity in Barnstaple including from those who live, work and visit the town, plus from businesses who are based and operate here (to include farming, home energy and transport) in so far as the Council’s remit and/or capacity allows.
- Collaborate effectively with other stakeholders, e.g. councils, community groups, businesses, educational institutions and the public.
- Commit to reduce the Council’s carbon footprint through its own actions and procurements.
- Place carbon reduction opportunities at the heart of the Council’s committees, policies, procedures, contracts and plans.
- Improve the natural resources of the Council’s green spaces and energy efficiency of its properties & built environment whilst respecting the heritage of Barnstaple
- Empower groups and individuals to fight against climate change by improving their own practices with provision of educational materials, information and a programme of activities.
- Call on Westminster to provide the necessary powers and resources to make the 2030 target possible.
- Raise funds for action.
- Monitoring and feedback.